It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Albyssinia, The Game Heroes
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:31 am 
The most endangered species: The Honest Man
The most endangered species: The Honest Man
Group: BETA
Group: Hero

So many of us have gone without a goodbye. Honestly, I can't think of a single one that made the effort. People just disappear - even the good ones. LBJ, I'm looking at you.

This is me saying, Meister was here.

I made it just shy of 9 years. That's pretty good considering the site died, what, over 4 years ago? I remember the days when tenure meant something on message boards. I had an account at IGN in 2000 when they began hosting user profiles. I was a reader long before - back to the n64.com days. I remember being a jaded Zelda fan that read a review there that convinced me to buy Ocarina of Time on release day - and I got the collector's edition by chance. Jeez, that was '97 - 20 years ago.

There was a time when having a '00 account at IGN meant something. Actually, it meant nothing.

It was in the IGN forums that I was first introduced to The Nerd. Youtube was in its infancy - way before HD video. It was from there that I tracked down Screwattack. Video Game nostalgia was hitting many of us at the same time. It was a glorious time of sharing in the joys and woes of classic gaming. Everyone in the community lived it - there was none of this need to pretend we shared in the experiences. I'm looking at you, video game community of today - 20 year olds talking about watching their older brother play Goldeneye. I've never felt so old.

I digress. It was very noticeable when Tom disappeared from Screwattack. Liz and Mickey. A quick search pointed me to Healing Touch. Reading the posts, it was clear I would never fit in at Healing Touch, but I lurked anyway. It was the only source I had for Tom's next project.

What an exciting time for The Game Heroes early days, before it even had a name. I remember the early video podcasts in the game store, hosted on just a black screen. No idea what was to come. I remember refreshing the page at thegameheroes.com just so I could be one of the first to register - that old IGN mentality. I was so excited to be on the ground floor.

I also remember watching that first review of Pirates vs Ninjas, the game that had provided ad revenue for the site up until that point. The game was panned in the review and I realized that the integrity of the site may be its early demise. Ad revenue...has its benefits.

And I remember LBJ making an early connection - something I think many of us experienced.

I tried to make an impact here in the forums, but don't know that I ever did. I think the fact that I did not earn Hero status until 2 were left proves this. Damn my eyes. My favorite time was when we had a Minecraft server - Jared, MsCupcakes, Lego, and several others. That was so much fun and I wish more had joined in.

Sadly, it was not long after that the crew shut down production.

And good for them. Since this site went live, I have met my wife, married, and had a kid. I have a desire to provide for them. I think that sense was shared by Tom, Joe, and others. They got it right. There are many others on the internet who never did - and I feel for those left behind on Channel Awesome. Folks, you're killing yourselves for diminishing returns - if it ain't working now, get a real job.

Screwattack is unrecognizable and not worth mentioning beyond that fact.

So it is to you, these final few, that I bid my farewell. I don't think I can fully peel myself from this board until it goes offline (Stockholm Syndrome), but I know that I will never have the zeal I once did. I don't feel a need to keep up appearances. And I never wanted to leave without saying some sort of goodbye. Steam isn't for me so I feel it is time I part ways with you all.

But MST3K is coming back April 14 on Netflix, so anything is possible.

So I close with this. ResidentialEvil - have a beer and listen to La Villa Strangiato by Rush. Please. The whole thing. You'll need two beers before its done.

Also, thanks for the laughs, Game Heroes. Jared - keep it real, brother. Catch ya'll on the next level.

Post subject: Re: Albyssinia, The Game Heroes
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:46 am 
Master of Unlocking
Master of Unlocking

Well said. I appreciate the goodbye even if it doesn't end up your actual final post.

It's kind of funny, I was just thinking of writing up a very similar post the other day but decided not to, mainly because I thought Black would be the only one who saw it. Plus I've stayed this long, I think I can at least make it to the "official" 9 year mark before I think about something like that. Then again, I'm talking about a long dead messageboard where I'm responding to ghosts and memories so it would feel like announcing I'm retiring from the XFL.

Even though I've long accepted this site was gone and never coming back, there's something about seeing it now that it's really sinking in. And it's cool, the internet is a different place now and people grow up and yes, real life comes first. Heck the only reason I have time to even post here as much as I do is because I'm a software developer. If I had pretty much any other job I would have been long gone. And I most certainly only post here now to entertain myself and honestly it's like having my own time machine to go back in time. Not only to the times when this place was hopping, but now back an entire generation of video games. It's funny to me to go back and read posts about "Halo 3 is coming out" and reading about how someone just saw the first Iron Man and it was awesome.

But again I do appreciate the actual goodbye. I'll probably ride this out until the URL doesn't work anymore, even if it's just me and Black responding to bots.

Have a good one Meister. I'll take you up on the Rush thing, and who knows, maybe we'll bump into each other IRL someday and not even know it.

RIP The Game Heores: 2008-2014.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:53 pm 
Louse Detector
Louse Detector
Group: Sidekick

I really do appreciate the goodbye, Meister. I remember the day they made you a Hero because that was the time that I missed out on the rank. But to be honest, I really think that you were in fact more deserving than I was, and I was right. I signed on to these forums right at the time the sight was in turmoil, so I didn't get to see this site in it's marvelous glory. I've went over how I got here, so I won't bring that up again. I actually remember writing a Hello topic and Res was the first response and he said something like, "Biodigital jazz, baby!" That stuck with me, so I stuck with this forum. I felt at home here, even though it was in it's twilight. I kept writing comments on whatever new topics posted, even answered a few bots just to pull jokes and have fun. Then, the retirement happened. I remember just being floored, like I was losing a friend. So, I made a decision. I felt that if I can just keep writing, whether it be a new topic, or comment on just about every bot that post, that MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, TGH will see this, unretire themselves, and maybe things will be anew. Kind of silly thought, but I felt that if I didn't keep doing my thing, the forums are going to die. 2000+ comments later, I hit a wall, and the wall was called LIFE. I had taken on a position as a Biomedical Equipment Technician II and switched to a different hospital. That biomed program had A LOT of problems that needed to be addressed, and so the time I had to surf the forums here just wasn't there anymore. That's why you didn't see a lot of me this past year. I didn't just up and quit, I simply ran out of time. With the demands of work, three kids in school, etc., I couldn't simply log in when I feel like it. Probably the similar reality that HT and crew met in October 2012. Funny how life comes full circle sometimes. When I look back at my time here, it was more of me growing as a person. The twins were born, moved twice, switched jobs, watched my kids grow like weeds, hit a few milestones in gaming (8/28/2016, I FINALLY beat a Mario game, NSMBU), and met some of the best online friends a guy could have. I would have liked to get the Hero rank, but it's kind of pointless at this point. So if this website ends tomorrow, I can honestly say that I had a great time with you guys. Meister, I wish you the best of luck. I'll be on the Steam group, so Black and Res keep watch. For the rest of you, if you're reading this by any means, it was fun being here and I bid you adieu and I'll see you in the next save point. I'll be here when I can, until they finally hit the off button on the website's servers.

"Never give up. Trust your instincts"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:41 am 
Hands Off The Panda!
Hands Off The Panda!
Group: Administrator
Group: TGH Staff

I think the main reason I haven't said goodbye is it feels too permanent.
I wish it was easier to stay in touch with people from here.

That minecraft server was so much fun, I can't even being to count how many hours we spent making awesome stuff there, and CRXForum's replica of N. Korea with the giant flag, that was incredible.

Goodluck meister!
Feel free to look me up anytime. <3

I use twitter a lot: https://twitter.com/mscupcake91

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:55 am 
ATATATATATATATATATATATATATATA
ATATATATATATATATATATATATATATA

Hey, I never thought to say goodbye since I have almost everyone I spoke to on here on Facebook, Twitter, Steam, ect ect and my time coming here started slowing down.

Then somewhere on down the line I stopped. I'll not forget this place and places like Screwattack and The Healing Touch. I've met a lot of great people on these sites, and I've never felt a sense of community since those times. Not that I'm complaining about it, I really cherish those memories. I've met a lot of great and interesting people.

While I suppose this is a "goodbye" post, by no means turning my back on everyone I've met here.

Feel free to keep up with me here

https://twitter.com/Kaiserhawk
https://www.facebook.com/Kaiserhawk

I also miss these emotes

:-D :-o O_o :nyor: :fire: :burnt:

For more Gary products and unrelated Gary products visit the my page. It's Garyific!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:54 pm 
Master of Unlocking
Master of Unlocking

Look what you did meister.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:44 pm 
The Mad Prince
The Mad Prince
Group: Villain

Oooooo... I am the Ghost of Game Heroes past... let's roll those yellow text credits one more time...

Not going to lie, I'll probably forget to check any replies to this... but at some point, yeah, the forums just died for me. I just wanted to apologize to everyone for dropping the ball with the future website idea. When I started working on it, there seemed to be a general sense of people just not caring (I know Kaiserhawk did, and I'll always be grateful for his generosity... and someday I swear I'll pay him back) about the content or the site... like it was a "cool idea" but nobody really had the drive beyond that.

YIBR records maybe once or twice a year tops, and we'll post to our Facebook page (which you should look up Yamagato Industries Business Report and click like on it... or @Linktm on twitter or even Linktm on Facebook (y'know when you could pick URLs for your personal page/name?) or Reddit or wherever...) But, both our comic artist Colonel Panic and Mongo had a child (separately, not together), and Beeslo was having his own non-baby related issues to deal with, and so it all just kind of evaporated into the ether.

Long apology short, I feel bad that I vanished. But if you want to reach out and befriend me on some other form of social media I'd love to continue interacting with you. While TheGameHeroes has always been Tom and everyone's community, I've always felt as if the Forums were "mine". They were everything I wanted the HealingTouch forums to be but never were. I'm sad to see them go, but I'm humbled by how long they continued to live long beyond the site's "final" day of content. That's thanks to all of you who are still here as well as all the wonderful Mods/Admins that picked up the slack in my absence. Thank you so much for making this place something special.

If it hasn't been done yet... in my final act, I will reveal to you all who have toughed it out this long what the original rank ideas (up to 10k posts) were for both Sidekicks and Henchmen.

Ranks for Sidekicks:

0 - Observer (Starcraft)
1 - Luigi (Mario)
5 - Peasants (Warcraft)
10 - Scrappy Doo (Scooby Doo)
25 - Slippy Toad (Star Fox)
42 - Marvin (Hitchhiker's Guide)
50 - Navi (Zelda)
75 - Donkey (Shrek)
100 - Yoshi (Mario)
125 - Toad (Mario)
150 - Bucky (Captain America)
151 - Pikachu (Pokemon)
175 - Daxter (Jak)
200 - Gremio (Suikoden)
250 - Slimer (Ghost Busters)
255 - Biggs & Wedge & Jessie(?) (Final Fantasy)
300 - Chaozu (Dragonball Z)
350 - Clank (Ratchet & Clank)
400 - Nurse (Trauma Center)
420 - Sam Wise (LOTR)
450 - Bentley & Murray (Sly Cooper)
500 - Rebbecca Chambers (Resident Evil)
600 - Frog (Chrono Trigger)
666 - Evil King Stan (Okage)
700 - Maya (Ace Attorney)
777 - Andou & Furuhata (Kaiji)
800 - Weasel (Deadpool)
900 - Battlecat & Orco (He-Man)
1000 - Willow and/or Xander (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
1004 - Arthur (The Tick)
1010 - Weighted Companion Cube (October 10th was the release date of Portal)
1250 - Rush (Megaman)
1337 - Tachikoma (Ghost in the Shell)
1500 - Ron Weasley & Hermione Granger (Harry Potter)
1750 - Barney Rubble (Flintstones)
1887 - Dr. Watson (Sherlock Holmes)
1960 - Little Sister (Bioshock)
1973 - Louis DeNono (Hotel Dusk)
2000 - Alyx Vance (Half Life 2)
2041 through 2046 - Metal Gear mkII (Snatcher)
2250 - Diddy Kong (Donkey Kong)
2300 - Robo (Chrono Trigger)
2500 - Dorothy (Big O)
2750 - Jubilee (X-Men)
3000 - Kurillin (Dragonball Z)
3250 - Watari (Death Note)
3500 - R2D2 & C3P0 (Star Wars)
4000 - Fran (Final Fantasy 12)
4112 - Otacon (Metal Gear Solid)
4500 - Nicholas D. Wolfwood (Trigun)
5000 - Kato (Green Hornet)
5499 - Launchpad (Duck Tales, etc.)
5500 - Tails (Sonic)
6000 - Chewbacca (Star Wars)
7000 - Maximilian Sterling (Robotech)
7608 - Matsuda (Death Note)
8000 - Spock (Star Trek)
8999 - Red Shirt (Star Trek)
9000 - Robin (Batman)
9999 - Yo-Yo (Jet Set Radio)
10000 - Brock Sampson (Venture Brothers)

Ranks for Henchmen:

Ranks for Henchmen:

0 - Lurker (Starcraft)
1 - Goomba (Mario)
5 - Peons (Warcraft)
10 - Genome Soldier (Metal Gear Solid)
25 - Moblins (Zelda)
50 - Putty (Power Rangers)
75 - Krool Grunt (Donkey Kong)
100 - Storm Troopers (Star Wars)
125 - Pig Masks (Mother 3)
150 - Winter Soldier (Captain America)
151 - Jesse & James (Pokemon)
175 - Space Pirate (Metroid)
200 - Combine Grunts (Half Life 2)
250 - Foot Soldiers (TMNT)
255 - Biggs & Wedge & Piette(?) (Final Fantasy)
300 - Nappa (Dragonball Z)
350 - Burt Schlubb & Douglas Klump (Sin City)
400 - Misa (Death Note)
420 - New Age Retro Hippie (Mother)
450 - Mrs. Lovett (Sweeney Todd)
500 - Koopa Kids (Mario)
600 - Waluigi (Mario)
666 - Maromi (Paranoia Agent)
700 - Balladbird Lee (Gungrave)
777 - Tonegawa (Kaiji)
800 - Shocker (Spider-man)
900 - Goro (Mortal Kombat)
912 - GIR (Invader Zim)
1000 - Monarch's Men (Venture Brothers)
1250 - Servbots (Megaman)
1337 - Hammer Bros. (Mario Brothers)
1500 - Smee (Peter Pan)
1750 - Beastman (He-Man)
1960 - Big Daddy (Bioshock)
1963 - Dalek (Dr. Who)
1999 - Death (Castlevania)
2000 - Sagat (Street Fighter)
2222 - Number Two (Austin Powers)
2250 - Gutsman and/or Cutman (Megaman)
2500 - Mystique (X-Men)
2750 - Varamithras (Warcraft 3)
3000 - Seed & Culgan (Suikoden)
3250 - Bebop & Rocksteady (TMNT)
3500 - Darth Maul (Star Wars)
4000 - Ocelot (Metal Gear Solid)
4500 - Kefka (Final Fantasy 6
5000 - The Turks (Final Fantasy 7)
5141 - Timmy & Tommy Nook (Animal Crossing)
5500 - Ozzie, Flea, & Slash (Chrono Trigger)
6000 - Ada Wong (Resident Evil)
7000 - Starscream (Transformers)
7615 - Ginyu Force (Dragonball Z)
8000 - Harley Quinn (Batman)
9000 - Darth Vader (Star Wars)
9001 - Vegeta (Dragonball Z)
9999 - Seifer's Grunts, Raijiin and Fuujin (Final Fantasy 8)
10000 - Dwight Schrute (The Office)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:57 am 
Such Heroic Nonsense...
Such Heroic Nonsense...
Group: Authors

Holy shit, the first time in a month I don't think I pop on at least once a day to check what's going on all these blasts from the past show up and say goodbye! Sorry, I had a full house full of guests for about a week staying with me, followed by said guests leaving me a lovely cold as a parting gift so I haven't been checking here much lately.

Anyways meister, thank you for the heartfelt goodbye post. I know it's only been a handful of us for awhile now, but it's always nice to have back and forth discussions with people here.

I was actually thinking about posting in the Steam group this week to see who responds. It was looking more and more like things are coming to a final end here. It's sad days, but with regulars slowly disappearing like LBJ it looks like the end was here.

If you guys want to just chat in the steam group that's fine. If you want to continue to comment here I'll keep trying to kill bots (athough I've been very lazy in doing so lately). I'm up for whatever.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:32 pm 
Master of Unlocking
Master of Unlocking

I'm not leaving until the lights are turned off for realz; even if I'm necroposting to myself.

But I'm cool posting in the Steam group too, though I'm too much of a newbie to post in the actual TGH one.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:08 pm 
Reloading...
Reloading...

Bye meister, good luck with life and family.

I'll still pop in on certain times, I have a Game Villainy PSN group with a couple people on here if anybody wants to join. My PSN is cakeboot. I've pretty much took on that username since i can't get "nomad" anywhere without a number.

Lets just hangout at the cupcakes discord lol.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:56 pm 
Hands Off The Panda!
Hands Off The Panda!

nomad wrote:

nomad knows what's up :innocentsmile:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:57 pm 
Master of Unlocking
Master of Unlocking

nomad wrote:
Bye meister, good luck with life and family.

I'll still pop in on certain times, I have a Game Villainy PSN group with a couple people on here if anybody wants to join. My PSN is cakeboot. I've pretty much took on that username since i can't get "nomad" anywhere without a number.

I'm glad I read this today. I forgot who cakeboot was on my PSN friends list.